This section of the paper (P2:B) is worth 25% of your GCSE, contains 3 modules (see the structure below to find out more) AND a historic environment study. This historic environment study is set to be;
June 2020 exams - Spanish Armada (battle site and surrounding context)
June 2021 exams - Kenilworth Castle
For this you need to develop knowledge of the function, structure, location, design and key people attached to the site. Another way to analyse this is MoLoFuPu: Motivation, Location, Function, Purpose. We will decide on a final method when teaching this module in 2019-20.
P2:B - Elizabethan England, 1568-1603
Part one: Elizabeth's court and Parliament
• Elizabeth I and her court: background and character of Elizabeth I; court life, including patronage; key ministers.
• The difficulties of a female ruler: relations with Parliament; the problem of marriage and the succession; the strength of Elizabeth’s authority at the end of her reign, including Essex’s
rebellion in 1601.
Part two: Life in Elizabethan times
• A ‘Golden Age’: living standards and fashions; growing prosperity and the rise of the gentry; the Elizabethan theatre and its achievements; attitudes to the theatre.
• The poor: reasons for the increase in poverty; attitudes and responses to poverty; the reasons for government action and the seriousness of the problem.
• English sailors: Hawkins and Drake; circumnavigation 1577–1580, voyages and trade; the role of Raleigh.
Part three: Troubles at home and abroad
• Religious matters: the question of religion, English Catholicism and Protestantism; the Northern Rebellion; Elizabeth's excommunication; the missionaries; Catholic plots and the threat to the Elizabethan settlement; the nature and ideas of the Puritans and Puritanism; Elizabeth and her government's responses and policies towards religious matters.
• Mary Queen of Scots: background; Elizabeth and Parliament’s treatment of Mary; the challenge posed by Mary; plots; execution and its impact.
• Conflict with Spain: reasons; events; naval warfare, including tactics and technology; the defeat of the Spanish Armada.